Saturday, July 19, 2008

memorials

Yesterday I did something no parent should ever have to do.

I ordered a tombstone for my daughter's grave.

Strangely, it wasn't the hardest thing I did yesterday. It was harder to stand at my eldest brother's grave, the brother who was stillborn. I cried because his was the only grave without a name: just "Baby Boy" and our last name. My parents hadn't named him, and it seemed so sad. When I pray to him I just call him "Brother."

Harder still was that moment at the park when that little girl ran up to me.

She was wearing pink shoes. Pink shoes with hearts.

2 comments:

Soul Pockets said...

Cathy, I don't have anything profound to say. Just know that prayers for your peace and lots of hugs are coming your way.

Kelly

Mamacita said...

Know lots of prayers are headed your way.